How You Can Help Assure a Smooth Move
To make your move has pleasant as possible, we have provided some helpful tips for you in helping your movers make your move a success.
Any professional moving company will be happy to do the complete job for you, however, if you wish to help get ready for the move, there are things you can do to prepare for the move, save the movers time and save you money.
Prior to Moving Day
- Appliances: Drain, empty, disconnect, unplug, tape doors and electrical (some require interior packing of movable parts).
- TVs: Disconnect aerials and fold up, tape cords of all electrical appliances and lamps.
- Stereos: Secure arm and turn tables.
- Inform Movers of: Delicate, aged, weak pieces, loose legs, broken pieces, loose veneer, etc.
- Mark Boxes: Mark boxes for proper placement in the new home. Tape bottoms and tops and mark boxes that may be fragile, delicate, glass, this end up.
- Organize: Attics, tool sheds and garages. These areas are very time consuming for the movers (rakes, brooms, shovels–tie or tape together). Mowers and gas cans must be drained.
- Dressers, Desks and End Tables: Should be emptied of breakables, pencils, pens, paper clips and other items that would jam drawers. Clothing and bedding can be left in the drawers.
On Moving Day
- Advise movers before starting job what will and will not be moving.
- Before leaving old residence make a thorough inspection to be sure nothing is forgotten.
- At your new residence, it is very helpful if you direct the movers with each item for proper placement as it is brought in.
- When finished, check the truck yourself to be sure nothing is forgotten.
- Elevator moves — Check with building management for use and key on moving day. It is very helpful for you or a friend to help watch your goods in hallways, elevators and loading areas.